Pick up and move units

Published by takeo5150 on

Home Forums TSWW Game VIII: BARBAROSSA Pick up and move units

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      takeo5150
      Participant

This is a very basic question, can a moving units(or stack) pick up other units along the way? And is it possible to overrun? I couldn’t find a rule that defined it clearly.

Martyn Potts
      Participant

No.
      Rule 7.A:
      Units generally must be moved one unit at a time. However, units that start a movement or pursuit phase stacked together can be selected and moved as a stack.

takeo5150
      Participant

Thanks Martyn,
      I didn’t really understand what the sentence meant.

bjpignatelli
      Participant

Hi,
      Rule 7.A also mentions that “A player may ‘interrupt’ the movement of one unit or stack to allow units to move into/out of the hex and participate in overruns, engineer operations, or to load onto NSP’s.”

So, in this case, I believe that you can add more units/stacks along the way, just as you can split the stack and conclude the move in diferente hexes (as long as no unit exceeds its movement point allowance).

Also, rule 7.E.3 mentions that “Units making the overrun during the movement and pursuit phases must: enter from a single hex, […]”. So here I believe you can overrun after adding more units to the stack along the way, as long as you enter the overrun hex from a single hex.

I am correct?

Martyn Potts
      Participant

This is the third sentence of rule 7.A. It says units or a stack can “…move into/out of the hex…” which allows them to do things in that hex or head off in a completely different direction, either individually or as a sub-stack of the original stack. It doesn’t say anything about units moving into or joining the stack, or a stack picking units up as it passes through, because that would contradict the previous sentence which says “…units that start a movement or pursuit phase stacked together can be selected and moved as a stack.”

Rule 7.E.3 is about overruns. If you have three divisions each in their own hex and all adjacent to an enemy unit it is likely to be very risky for any one of them to attempt to overrun the enemy unit by itself, but together the odds would greatly improve in their favour. A player might wonder if he could overrun simultaneously from all three hexes or gather all three divisions together in one hex and then perform the overrun. He can’t because:
      1) The overrun rule says all overrunning units must enter from a single hex, and
      2) Rule 7.A says that units that start the movement or pursuit phase together may move as a stack, and these three divisions did not start the phase stacked together.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.