Battleaxe starting player and victory conditions

Published by agtaylor65 on

Home Forums TSWW Game VII: OPERATION BATTLEAXE Battleaxe starting player and victory conditions

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      agtaylor65
      Participant

The Axis player is the first player in the rules so I assume is in this game. However the half month scenario state “This variant commences on the June II Game turn and ends at the end of the July I Game turn, or whenever there are no Allied forces in Libya except within the perimeter of Tobruk.” The five day scenario is similar.

As there are no Allied units in Libya at the start of the scenario other than in Tobruk, then the scenario would end immediately or is this determined at the end of each player turn?

Also as this is covering the Battleaxe operation should the Allies be taking the first turn?

Thanks in advance.

Steve Bristow
      Participant

Hello there,
      I haven’t played this game through yet but was tinkering with it in order to learn the rules (half month variant). It did strike me that there was not a lot that the Axis could do on their first turn. Four Italian reserve divisions can’t move unless the Allies relieve Tobruk and that’s not going to happen! Meanwhile the Trento division is only released when Allies get within three hexes of them. The Ariete armoured division only moves when Allies cross the border, while the German 5th Light and 15th Panzer divisions movement is dependent on activation rolls also after the Allies cross into Libya. There doesn’t seem too much the Axis can do if they have the first turn. I wonder if starting the game with the Allied turn of June I would work to reflect the Allied attack that was essentially blunted by 17th June? This earlier turn could also perhaps reflect the border battles that took place towards the end of May as well. I appreciate of course that the Axis set up restrictions probably reflect the fact that OKW had ordered Rommel not to make any attacks as Barbarossa was imminent!
      I also appreciate that as I haven’t played this fully, or completely got to grips with the system, that I could be talking nonsense!!
      I have learnt though that the Wellington night bombers are lethal as the Axis have no night fighters and, as the Axis player, not to attempt airbase attacks when the Hurricane fighters are based there as the GCI rule will see Axis bombers shot to pieces.
      As the Axis player (and without doing the full maths) I would be keen to be allowed to just leave a defensive screen on the border and to make a full on assault on Tobruk. Assuming no set up restrictions (fanciful, I know), perhaps the Axis could use the reserve X Italian Corps, along with most of the Italian artillery and the two motorised infantry regiments and artillery battalions from 15th Panzer division for a concentric attack, supported by the majority of Axis air power. It might be possible to get a 2:1 with some potential retreat results for the defenders which would see them wiped out. It’s a gamble which could also see some heavy losses to the Axis, but it would be worth it to capture Tobruk even if it also meant giving some ground on the border (but hanging on to Bardia).
      Crazy idea? Yes probably, but this is one of the joys of TSWW, the chance to try the “what ifs”.
      Thank you again to all those who have made this system a reality.
      Kind Regards
      Steve

Steve Bristow
      Participant

Hello there…quick Battleaxe question please.
      Does the national contingent modifier apply when the Germans and Italians are attacking together. I was wondering about an assault on Tobruk using ground units from both countries.
      Thank you!

agtaylor65
        Participant

Steve: Check rule 9.B.1 which states “1. The attack (combat) strengths of all the forces attacking are modified for terrain, supply, national contingent (see 9.C.5 below), special unit types (see 9.L on page19), and CEV (including BAI), then totalled.”

You use each national contingent modifier for the forces Germany and Italy contribute, along with other needed modifiers and then total their two forces.

Hope that makes sense.

Steve Bristow
      Participant

Hi There. Thank you so much for such a prompt reply. Yes, that makes sense. For some reason I was wondering if “The Axis” counted as a single contingent, but I guess not and so I will ensure that I reduce the smaller contingent attack strength by half. Thanks again.
      Steve

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.