Ground replacements points

Published by katpawpaw2 on

Home Forums TSWW Game VIII: BARBAROSSA Ground replacements points

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      katpawpaw2
      Participant

For example, in one turn the Russians lost two 3-4-6 reduced divisions and one 5-12 artillery. How is the infantry replacement points calculated with the losses above? And are they accumulated from one turn to the next?

By the way, thanks for answering all my previous questions.

Ron

Martyn Potts
      Participant

Hi Ron,

Firstly, all combat replacements are added to the replacement pool and they can be used at any time in the future.

I would refer you to the replacement charts on page 13 of the Barbarossa charts. Taking one of your Russian divisions it is a Standard infantry division meaning it has 3 infantry SPs and 1 artillery SP, halved if reduced. You have two of them so we are back up to 3 and 1.

For combat replacements the relevant rule is 16.A.3 and I will assume nobody is isolated. The standard replacement rate is 1 SRP for every 3 SPs eliminated, but the Soviet P&E says their replacement rate is 1 for every 4. If the Russians were attacking when they suffered these losses they would get 0.75 infantry SRPs and 0.25 artillery SRPs. Had these been German divisions they would have received 1 infantry SRP and 0.33 artillery SRPs (the German combat replacement rate is not modified by their P&E rules).

If the Russians suffered these losses when defending, AND the Germans had advanced into their hex after the combat, the standard rule says they would get no SRPs. I always use the Optional Rule which gives them 25% of their normal replacements in infantry SRPs. In this case their normal replacements would have been a total of 1 SRP made up of infantry and artillery, and 25% of that would be 0.25 but ALL infantry – heavy equipment is abandoned on the field!

As for your 5-12 artillery unit, the same principles apply but exactly how much you get back depends on whether it was a battalion, regiment or brigade. They would all be artillery SRPs (see Non-Divisional Unit Replacement Costs chart) unless using the optional rule in which case they would get 25% of their standard replacements but in infantry SRPs.

Hope this is clear.

Martyn

katpawpaw2
      Participant

My opponent and I kept reading your example and we are still not clear. The Russians had two reduced infantry divisions that were eliminated and then the Germans advanced. The P and E for Russia is one out of 4 stacking points is a SRP and we are also using the 25% optional rule. So the reduced Russian divisions had 3 sp of infantry and 1 sp of artillery. We do not understand where you get 1 SRP for the replacement for the Russians. Should it be 3 divided by 4 which would be .75 infantry and then 1 divided by 4 for the artillery which would be .25. Is this how you got 1 SRP for the two reduced divisions? Then the one would be times .25 which would be .25 SRP? Is this correct.

The rules interchange stacking points with SRP’s. This is confusing us. Do you go by the unit rebuild chart when figuring out the SRP for each unit. Do you go by the unit rebuilding chart when you spend SRP to get a unit back.

For example: when playing a larger campaign game, do you have to calculate the SRP every time a unit is lost or is there a way to keep track of how a unit is lost.

Do you keep track of stacking points as you go along or is there a easy way of handling this?

Ron

katpawpaw2
      Participant

Also, when playing via the vassal module, is there a way of keeping track of SRP, and the way each unit was eliminated?

Ron

Martyn Potts
      Participant

Sorry Ron, I didn’t know you had posted again. I look at the time information in the Last Post column to see if there is anything new in the forum, but this doesn’t pick-up new activity in existing posts, only new posts.

When I said “In this case their normal replacements would have been a total of 1 SRP made up of infantry and artillery” I didn’t bother to explain how I had arrived at that 1 SRP because it is exactly the same way as I had set out in the previous paragraph.

“Should it be 3 divided by 4 which would be .75 infantry and then 1 divided by 4 for the artillery which would be .25. Is this how you got 1 SRP for the two reduced divisions? Then the one would be times .25 which would be .25 SRP? Is this correct.”
      Yes.

A Stacking Point is the unit of measurement used to define how big a counter is.
      A Stacking Replacement Points are the units of measurement used to define how much of a resource you have.
      1 SP = 1 SRP.
      You can pick up an SP off the map, it is a physical counter, you can’t pick up an SRP because they are typically recorded on paper or a replacement track.

The two Unit Replacement charts, one for divisions and one for non-divisional units, tell you the composition of units. If you have a brigade of motorised infantry you have a unit that is 2 SP in size and if you wanted to know what made up that brigade you would see from that chart it is 1 SP of infantry and 1 SP of armour. That information is only useful to you when it dies in combat because you need it to calculate any combat replacements due. When it is in the dead pool and you want to buy it back you will need 1 infantry SRP and 1 armour SRP.

When playing, any counters lost in combat that are eligible for combat replacements I place in a pile and at then end of the turn (Rule 6.3.g) I calculate the combat replacements by type – armour, infantry and artillery – and note them down (or use the replacement track). The counters then go into the dead pile. However, you can’t do this with units that are reduced rather than eliminated completely as their counters are still on the map, so in this case I record their combat replacements as I go along. You also need to be careful, especially in a big game with potentially lots of casualties in a turn, that you don’t just chuck eliminated counters that have a reduced side into a pile as you need to know when you calculate combat replacements if they were eliminated at full strength or when reduced.

I don’t calculate the number of SPs in a hex unless I need to – such as for combat. Unless you are in mountains or on a limited land mass the stacking limit is quite generous.

Martyn

twenck
      Participant

There is nothing in Vassal to keep track of combat SRPs generated. The system is too complicated and requires a spreadsheet for any sizable game (or paper with a large amount of strikeouts or erasures and lots of writing.)

Simone Capecchi
      Participant

Go to our Facebook groups TSWW Gaming Community page. Search for Simone Capecchi post called Newbie question on SRP.
      There is a good threat with a lot of examples and answers.

🙂

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.